LeaCoMM Learning Community Migration and Minorities: Platform for Teachers and Teacher Educators
The aim of LeaCoMM is the establishment of a platform for teachers in Europe who work with multicultural, multiethnic, multilingual and multireligious learners in their classroom or school environment. This number of these learners has increased substantially across Europe during the last ten years due to higher mobility of individuals, increased migration and a greater numbers of refugees. Unfortunately, professional training opportunities and relevant resources for teachers to further develop their skills in intercultural teaching have not advanced as quickly. LeaCoMM aims to offer tools for teachers to develop their skills in this area as well as create a network for teachers across Europe to exchange good learning practice, methods and learning materials.
LeaCoMM’s platform for teachers is an online intercultural environment through a dedicated website and social networking media. On the website there is a number of areas for teachers, including:
- a general library and research area with the latest academic research, studies and policy outlines on intercultural competences for teachers
- a resource materials area where teachers can exchange relevant materials - created by teachers for teachers
- an area offering modules for teachers to improve their own inter and trans-cultural skills
- a forum for teachers across Europe to directly communicate with each other, list questions, make recommendations and other points of educational interest – the actual Learning Community of Teachers and Teacher Educators
As diversity in schools increase teaching requires extra focus of the differences in migration and ethnic minorities. LeaCoMM will give this focus though many ways, including:
- Language education and the use of multilingualism
- Critical re-design of schools and teaching in a multicultural way
- Intercultural and international perspectives on teaching content
- Diversity management in schools and by school administrators
The importance of the involvement of immigrants and ethnic minorities in schools and education is still insufficiently reflected in the education and training of teachers. Therefore, LeaCoMM aims to also look at the qualification of teachers in teacher education systems and those with responsibility for this area in school administration. Of course with some extremely limited resources in the various EU countries making these changes may prove a challenge. To ensure success in this area the need for up-to-date, practical and science-based instruments is essential.
LeaCoMM promotes the enhanced cooperation and teamwork of teachers across the EU and form the provision of facilities and resources to enable the construction and development of "learning communities" and provision of up-to-date and good learning materials.
Partners in LeaCoMM are
Soros International House – Vilnius, Lithuania
Desmos NGO – Katerini, Greece
Exchange House Ireland – Dublin, Ireland
Federal School Board Stuttgart – Stuttgart, Germany
Anton Martin Slomšek Institute (ZAMS) – Maribor, Slovenia
EGECED – Izmir, Turkey